Monday, June 13, 2011

What are my obsessions....?

So... If you are an OCD and anxiety survivor like myself then you know what it is like to OBSESS. What are my obsessions....? Ha... What isn't my obsession. I tend to obsess about a lot of things, but don't we all? My main obsession that causes me the most grief is my obsession regarding medical conditions. I am terrified of getting a disease such as Rheumatoid Arthritis, MS, ALS, Lupus, Cancer... etc. You name it. I am scared to death of it. Even as I sit here and write this, I am getting panicky. However, I am going to push on. My OCD is telling me to stop writing this blog because it makes me think about the diseases and makes my panicking come back. I am not going to let this bother me, especially since I know there is someone out there reading this who can relate to this. How does it start? Well.... I will have a symptom. Let's see. I have been tired lately. I start to "google" fatigue. In the search results, pops up multiple medical sites with diseases whose main symptoms are fatigue. I click on "Lupus" and see that there are several other symptoms that relate to me... OMG.. I have Lupus. I have Lupus. I have Lupus. I rush back to google with my heart racing and type in "Lupus common symptoms." I find another reputable medical website that tells me even more symptoms that relate to me. OMG... OMG... OMG... I am panicking now. It is Sunday night. I cannot call my doctor to make an appointment until tomorrow morning. There is no way that I can live with this feeling until tomorrow. I need to know. I continue to google and search like maniac, but all it does is make me freak out more.  But wait... wait wait a minute. You are not going to do this to me again. Why am I googling symptoms again? I did not think I had any other symptom until I started reading about Lupus. My OCD monster is not going to do this to me again. (I pretend OCD is this ugly, green monster that sits on my should like the devil and tries to yell things in my ear to make me freak out). I knock him off my shoulder and move on. THIS is not real. My symptoms are not real. They feel sooooo real, but the minute I am able to calm down they subside. OCD is real, but do not let "him" get the best of you. KNOCK him off your shoulder.

4 comments:

  1. This is a great example of OCD and slight hypochondriasis. My mom went through the same thing and I helped her try to not obsess about it because the more she did it would get worst. She sometimes would have panic attacks. Good post though. It is nice that you are making this more aware!
    Gianna
    www.fixthetrich.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it's ok that I laughed as I read this because I totally get you because you just described me. I obsess about getting medical issues too. Today I think I may have PAD because my legs hurt. Could it be because I'm power walking alot? Thanks for sharing your journey-Your cool to write this. Have a peaceful day and quit googling medical symptoms-LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda,

    It is totally ok that you laughed. I can laugh about it and that is what gives me the strength to punch my little OCD monster off of my shoulder! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG is is soo me!!! I was soo bad like this about 2 years ago but I went on some medication that has helped me soo much as well as counseling. Now I am slowly going off my meds and trying to just live my life. Still holding on to some of my ocd but not letting it take over my life!!!

    ReplyDelete